Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Real 'Sideways' Effect

I haven't really posted much about the movie Sideways until now, just never really had anything to add. Fun movie, wine in the plot but not really what the movie was about, just a setting really.

It recently occurred to me, however, that what I liked most about it was the low-brow humor. I liked that it wasn't an art-house film that would only be seen by a few dozen either dedicated wine or art lovers. I like that it was raw, unpretentious and often crude. I'm glad that it didn't put on airs and have Miles keep his '61 Cheval Blanc for an appropriate dinner party - I love that he drank it from a styrofoam cup with a cheeseburger. I even liked the physical comedy in the movie too.

Why do I like all this? Because it made the wine seem more everyday and less elitist. Rather than spending two hours talking up wine as an ethereal beverage destined only for the lips of the elite, it showed people with common flaws and problems sharing their enjoyment of a drink that brings joy and complexity to their lives.

For that reason alone, this blog owes a bit of gratitude. Any time wine is removed from its pedestal (and drunk straight from the bottle!) is a good thing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about getting ripped in a tasting room and drinking straight from the spittoon. Classic...

May 12, 2005 3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know...for some reason...I never even thought of the movie that way.

Who can argue with making wine more accessible?

I've heard enough whining about Miles being an alcoholic though...enough!

How about picking up a tasting room girl!??! Nice work.

May 13, 2005 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home