Friday, January 14, 2005

Someone Obviously Didn't Read Through the Archives

Got an email from a reader, excerpted as follows:

"...was wondering if you could tell me if you recommend Riedel or Spiegelau glasses and how many of the varietal types I should consider gettting?

Thanks,
"

Well I got a chuckle out of that! I'd suggest you read through my archives for "
Riedel & Illogic..." and "Riedel's Greatest Trick...". Those two posts should clarify how I feel about the whole varietal specific wineglass issue.

Futhermore, I recently attended a formal tasting at
vinquiry, where they work as consultants to improve wineries' wines. Of all places, you'd think they would want to get the most out of each glass. What did they use? Small generic glasses. Non-leaded and fairly thick-lipped. Did that impact the wines being tasted? The combined 150+ years of experience in the tasting didn't seem to mind.....

1 Comments:

Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

Remind me not to invite you to my next tasting, but bully for challenging the "conventional" wisdom. Your points are well taken, and I would hazard to guess that a good glass does improve the aroma and taste of "all" wines but is not varietal specific. In fact, I really enjoy Sake, Port, Muscat, Tokay and Madeira in full size "Burgundy" or "Bordeaux" glasses and not the tiny little stemware that is traditional. How sacrilegious!

January 14, 2005 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home