Thursday, November 17, 2005

French Wines For Thanksgiving?

Last year, I warned people about the coming onslaught on Thanksgiving wine suggestions. Well, here they come again. The NY Daily News is suggesting Rhone wines this year. Now, I love Rhones and I'm not looking to make this into a "freedom-fried" political statement, nor am I looking to point out that the French could create a white blend called "White Flag", but rather to point out the merits of the most American of wines for this most American of holidays - Everyone knows the best thing to match the diverse flavors (tart/sweet, bland/spicy), and not be too tannic is - what else? - Zinfandel...accept nothing less this year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jack said...

Don't you mean, "Don't accept anything but an excellent Gew├╝rztraminer from Alsace?" The perfect wine for Turkey.

(And, many Zins are too alcoholic nowadays to pair well with food.)

-- A Different Viewpoint in the Wine Country out West

November 17, 2005 6:51 PM  
Blogger Catherine Granger said...

I used to think that Zinfandel was a must for Thanksgiving. So last year, I opened a 2001 Zinfandel Jan Vineyard Napa Valley from Merryvale. My friends had a Saintsbury Garnet Pinot Noir. At the end, I actually preferred the fruity style of the Pinot Noir than the Zinfandel with the turkey.

November 18, 2005 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home