Thursday, November 17, 2005

French Wines For Thanksgiving?

Last year, I warned people about the coming onslaught on Thanksgiving wine suggestions. Well, here they come again. The NY Daily News is suggesting Rhone wines this year. Now, I love Rhones and I'm not looking to make this into a "freedom-fried" political statement, nor am I looking to point out that the French could create a white blend called "White Flag", but rather to point out the merits of the most American of wines for this most American of holidays - Everyone knows the best thing to match the diverse flavors (tart/sweet, bland/spicy), and not be too tannic is - what else? - Zinfandel...accept nothing less this year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you mean, "Don't accept anything but an excellent Gewürztraminer from Alsace?" The perfect wine for Turkey.

(And, many Zins are too alcoholic nowadays to pair well with food.)

-- A Different Viewpoint in the Wine Country out West

November 17, 2005 6:51 PM  
Blogger Catherine Granger said...

I used to think that Zinfandel was a must for Thanksgiving. So last year, I opened a 2001 Zinfandel Jan Vineyard Napa Valley from Merryvale. My friends had a Saintsbury Garnet Pinot Noir. At the end, I actually preferred the fruity style of the Pinot Noir than the Zinfandel with the turkey.

November 18, 2005 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home