Saturday, August 11, 2007

Warbirds flying overhead

I was reminded yesterday morning of the upcoming "Wings over Wine Country" air show @ the Charles M. Schulz airport in Sonoma County (put on by the Pacific Coast Air Museum, August 18 & 19th this year)...
...specifically, I was alerted to this fact when at about quarter to 9 AM, I was buzzed - no, "strafed" is a better word - by a military jet while out in a vineyard near Olivet RD...

Actually, I guess that was an improvement over last year when I was surprised in a vineyard to see a huge-ass plane flying right over my head and couldn't really put my hand on exactly what it was that made the plane so weird-looking...turns out it was the 60's U2 spy plane taking off & heading for parts unknown...supposedly that's going to be heading back here this year also...
It can be kind of loud for the weekend, but it is kick-but cool, and it does keep the birds out of the surrounding vineyards for a time, and that's not such a bad thing overall.
Sad thing about the air show...even though it has a cool name, ans really cool planes, it has damned little to do with wine itself. Such a pity!

I do suppose you could head to the air show after you've hit a few of the local wineries...
(following are a few cool snaps of the last surviving flying wing prototype they had out there in 2005!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home