Saturday, September 22, 2007

Damned cool weather!...and some rain...

Well, this is sure putting a damper on my harvest.... With the hot weather we were having at the start of September I was sure I'd be done picking this week, or maybe next week at the latest. But these past two weeks have been on the cool side (politely stated), and the rain yesterday & today isn't helping ripen my grapes...though it really isn't hurting them at the moment either. High temps on average have been ~77°F with lows in the mid 40's, and only traces of any moisture at all. Perfect autumn weather, with a slight chill and faint smell of smoke in the air...until today when it decided to give us a little light rain. The outlook for the next week is warming and sunny, and with a little breeze this extra moisture will be history. I've completed picking only 50% of what I have planned, and with the right weather can get the rest of this all taken care of in another 2 weeks time.
Overall, this harvest has been pretty top notch quality-wise, and I can hardly wait to see what everyone has produced come early '08...
I think this harvest's labors will be yet another feather in California's hat.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good wine in good weather is a great wine gift...

November 24, 2007 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home