Thursday, June 23, 2005

Worst packaging I've ever seen



I've commented previously on what I feel is the most irresponsible package I've ever seen, but didn't have a closer photo until a recent email from Stuart.
(click pic for larger view)
Listen - this, as clever as it is, is the stupidest design I've ever come across. I can only imagine what doctors and ER nurses think when they see this on the shelf.
I'm scared to even think that any children see it in the store, and truly horrified to think that children may see parents/grownups/guardians drinking wine from a bottle labeled as such.
How could this ever have been allowed?
The ATF/TTB doesn't generally allow nudity on labels, and one of its greatest missions is to prevent misleading or confusing labeling of wine.
So how'd this happen? Who was asleep in their office instead of doing his/her job? It's just grossly over the line of acceptability, and potentially confusing. As far as I know, the skull and crossbones are an international symbol for poison, and I should hope that their product wouldn't be allowed into any other country.
The US Gov't never should have approved it. Period.
And frankly, a case could be made that a little nudity (which said <winery name> also has on a bottle dress) was a lesser evil than a red skull & crossbones. Yet nudity is a pariah, while we can all view this 'poizin' to our hearts content...
********
These people appear to want attention at any cost...even if it means using some artful yet incredibly foolish methods. That's exactly what those wholesalers/distributors/neo-prohibitionists are looking for to demonstrate the supposed 'evil' nature of the wine industry.
Some will rightly point out that I'm giving said <winery name> some attention they don't deserve (which is why I'm not saying the <winery name>) but I still feel the topic needs to be discussed.
I'll never buy this product, never ever.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I'v seen and had this wine. If I recall it was from a Russian River Valley producer...maybe Alexander Valley.

I don't recall having my socks knocked off. But I do recall wondering exactly what you did: How did the FEDS allow this??

Maybe I need to go back and re-read the regulations concerning what imagery can appear on a label. It has been a while.

June 23, 2005 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are letting your children wander through the wine section you have more problems than what is on the bottle. Wine is for ages 21 and higher, and is marketed to an intelect of those standards. You should have more of a problem with beer and wine companies marketing their products to the under age crowd with no concequences.

June 27, 2005 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that letting your children wander is the point. I've seen this item on a few stores where the retailer has baked goods sections or produce sections within sight of the wine.

And the fact is that minors may see people consume this product in restaurants, where I have on several occasions.

June 28, 2005 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think everything should be couched in the "what about our children" category. BUT, Huge is right, this specific symbol should be off limits (I don't think the FDA allows it for hot sauce labels, actually). I can't believe it made it past the sensors, I mean regulators.

What's next? Mr. Icky Merlot?

July 05, 2005 6:13 PM  
Blogger Nando said...

He is right. What if someone was to look at the label and assume it was real poison and accidentally NOT DRINK it?!

November 03, 2008 4:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nandos and Huge are right! I would hate for my children to think this is poison.

March 05, 2009 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home