Thursday, September 15, 2005

Cheers for the Sofia Mini

Consumer Reports recently gave a pretty lukewarm review of the Sofia Mini. An excerpt can be found here.


"However, the consultants did note that the wine tasted better from a glass than it did straight out of the can. But if you don't want the hassle of a bottle, Consumer Reports says Sofia Mini might be just the thing."

Consumer Reports misses the point here. The success of the Sofia Mini is in its packaging. One of the problems consumers have long had with becoming wine adopters is the packaging. What if one wants just a glass with a meal? Does he open a bottle and possibly let the rest oxidize before he can finish it?


I say cheers to Niebaum-Coppola for this innovative approach to younger consumers and alternative packaging. Single servings for everyone!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 15, 2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

It must be the packaging that makes the Sofia Mini popular--it tastes terrible!

September 18, 2005 12:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Huge,

Only stumbled on your post today, sorry about that. It _is_ the packaging that makes it popular! I have been _longing_ for single-serve wine units. I'm the only wine drinker in this household - I can't finish a bottle in one go. And how boring - once I open it, I'm stuck with it. If I open another bottle, then there's even more waste!

But, with a single-serve package, I can buy more types of wine. Imagine, I could have a chardonnay with my appetizer and a merlot with my dinner, and not be stuck throwing wine out :-) On my budget, it would be easier to keep around a wide range of options to go with whatever I feel like having that night, for the first course and the second.

This is a brilliant idea. Okay, so perhaps this implementation might not be the best, and the expensive and unusual stuff will probably stay in the traditional bottle, but I think it's worth it for the industry to pursue. A girl likes to be able to have choices in her pantry, and single women are going to be thrilled about this, trust me.

http://gtf.org/viti-culture/2005/09/how-do-wineries-plan-for-arc-of-open.html

September 23, 2005 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, CHEERS to the Coppola's! I just finished off a four pack of Sofia Mini, and I am headed back to Trader Joe's for more this evening. Great sparkling wine, great packaging!

-Angie

January 11, 2006 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home